Little Pond on the Prairie

....where the little adventures mean the most!

Baseball Season 2008

Thursday, March 20, 2008

I am ready for baseball season. Mother nature is not. We have experienced 10 inches of rain in 2 days! My optimistic, on spring break, 16 year old was convinced he would be playing his 4:30pm game today! I just received the game cancellation notice from highschoolsports.net (wonderful website) in my email. They cancelled a half dozen games last year and it looks like we're on the same pattern again this year. He is a sophomore this year and should be starting catcher on JV. He sat most of last year to an upper classman. So we are hoping for more glove-time this year!

Sign ups for dd12 and ds11 were last week so after April 1 we'll be keeping up with the practice schedules.

The most excitement for baseball this year will be the MLB team that I will be cheering for. Growing up my teams varied. I was a big Phillies fan in preteen years. Then moved onto George Brett and the KC Royals till my late teen years. Then I settled in on the Cardinals, having more opportunities to attend games there. Between my parents, there has been the long argument of exactly who a Southern Illinois resident should root for: Mother-we live in Illinois, should be a Cub fan (the sox were never mentioned....) Father- we live an hour and a half from Busch Stadium, should be a Cardinal fan! I sided with my Dad... until this year.

This is THE year for the Cubs. It's simple. I will root for them this and only this year. I believe that since their last WS championship was 1908, it is fitting that they should have the title in 2008. Besides, it's not looking like the Cards will have much excitment going on. I might as well make our household exciting. DF is a Cardinals fan.

I know true fans don't just jump around from team to team and I'm not being a fair-weathered fan! I'm rooting for the Cardinals against everyone else, as long as the Cubs come out on top THIS year!
posted by sports_mom91, 11:55 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment